Home / Legal Areas / Family Law/ Same sex dIVORce
If your same-sex marriage or civil partnership has broken down, you need a team of legal experts with experience in same-sex divorce and separation.
Because when what started out as a simple relationship rarely ends up that way – we can help you address each and every complication in the most supportive and cost-effective way possible.
What is same-sex Divorce?
Divorce refers to the legal ending of a marriage.
For same-sex couples, divorce is still known as divorce. However, the legal ending of a civil partnership is known as dissolution.
Going through a same-sex divorce can be a particularly difficult matter. If the divorce is fairly amicable and the reasons behind it are agreed upon, then standard divorce proceedings can be relatively simple to follow. Grounds for divorce are very flexible, but most commonly involve adultery, unreasonable behaviour and desertion. However, when a divorce is negative and acrimonious, complications can arise and the court will need to get involved.
You should know…
A divorce is split into four stages:
1) Serving the divorce petition to the other party.
2) Acknowledgement of service by your spouse, or by yourself, if the petition has been served to you
3) Obtaining the decree nisi – this is when a judge can pronounce that the grounds for your divorce are valid.
4) Obtaining the decree absolute – this is the document that legally ends your marriage.
what your case needs
Your case will need clarity, advocacy and correct representation when presenting evidence in court.
You will need to be able to structure a coherent and comprehensive case to your circumstances in an objective manner.
3. CLEAR CASE MANAGEMENT
Our partnered lawyers will be able to lay out your exact plan for you, from the initial consultation to the end of your case. A lawyer will also be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done and how they are going to reach your desired outcome.
4. TIMELINE TRANSPARENCY
If you are choosing to handle your case alone, you may not know how long the case will go on for. Divorce cases in particular can take a long time to complete.
5. TOTAL SUPPORT
Your lawyer will be able to provide you with the best support for your case, and should approach your case with an objective and friendly manner.
how can a lawyer help with your case?
Going through a divorce can be a long and arduous process. There are so many elements involved such as financial settlements, property and childcare. When it comes to finding a lawyer for your same sex-divorce, it’s important to find someone who won’t treat you differently because of your sexual orientation.
While you don’t necessarily have to have a lawyer for your divorce, trying to go through your divorce without one could prove to be really difficult.
- A lawyer will be able to give you expert advice and alert you to things that you may have otherwise missed.
- Using the help of a lawyer will also ensure that there are no mistakes made during your divorce, and that everything runs as it should.
- You can avoid delays by using a lawyer to help with any necessary paperwork
- Using a lawyer will help reduce the stress involved in the divorce process. Having someone else to help with the legal side of things will mean you can focus more on the other elements of the divorce.
Your lawyer will work with you to come to a divorce settlement with the other party. They will make sure you receive any monies that you are entitled to as well as organising childcare and what happens to your property. A lawyer can also represent you if you have any court proceedings.
NEED A LAWYER WHO SPECIALISES IN sAME-SEX DIVORCE NOW?
Get in touch today by giving us a few details and a brief outline of your matter, and we’ll put you in touch with an LGBT Lawyer.
OTHER LEGAL AREAS
LANDLORD & TENANT
WILLS & PROBATE
Family Law: latest blogs and insights
Civil partnerships were introduced to offer LGBT couples the option of a legal union. The dissolution process is discussed in this article.
same-sex divorce Not Right For Your Situation?
Haven’t been able to find the information or solution you were looking for? Here are all the family law services on offer from the LGBT Lawyers network.
DIVORCE FINANCIAL SETTLEMENTS
PRENUPTIAL & POSTNUPTIAL AGREEMENTS
The LGBT Lawyers Difference
At LGBT Lawyers we tailor our legal services specifically to the LGBT community and everything that being LGBT entails. As an LGBT individual you deserve legal advice that is free from any attitude or judgement. Our network of regulated and qualified partner LGBT Lawyers will ensure your legal requirements are met.
LGBT Lawyers earnt its fantastic reputation from its fearless commitment to Our clients’ cases
Need a who Lawyer who specalises in same-sex divorce Now?
Please give us a few details and a brief outline of your matter, and we’ll put you in touch with an LGBT Lawyer.
* indicates that a field is mandatory. Please note all enquiries are handled by our referral partner Britton and Time Solicitors and that by submitting an enquiry, you are providing your permission for your contact and case details to be passed on to Britton and Time Solicitors.