Tenancy disputes arise from time to time and can be a headache for landlords, tenants and managing agents alike. From non-compliance to straight breaches of contract, one of our partner lawyers can help resolve your case.
What generally causes tenancy disputes?
Disputes between landlord and tenant can be extremely stressful and, unfortunately, they happen far too often. From the start of a tenancy, right to the end, there can be problems with money, responsibilities and general upkeep.
The obligations for both landlord and tenant are set out in their tenancy agreement. While the tenant’s main obligations are to pay rent and keep the property in good condition, the landlord is contractually obliged to protect the tenant’s deposit and make sure the property is safe.
If either side fails to meet the obligations set out in the tenancy agreement, the other may choose to take action against them.
Main Types of Tenancy Disputes
Most tenants find that they have disputes when:
- The landlord fails to maintain the upkeep of their property
- There are hidden or unfair charges
- There is a problem with your deposit or trying to get your deposit back at the end of a tenancy
- The landlord wants to increase your rent
- The landlord comes to inspect the property unannounced, or without giving the appropriate notice
While landlord tenancy disputes often include the tenant:
- failing to pay their rent
- breaking the terms and conditions of their contract
- missing bill payments
- displaying anti-social behaviour
- damaging the property and failing to comply with their part of the upkeep
How a Lawyer Can Help Resolve a Tenancy Dispute
While tenancy disputes can arise for any number of reasons, getting legal advice early is crucial, especially if you’re unsure if the terms of your tenancy have been breached.
As a landlord, you may be worried about what the tenant will do if you try to take more robust action.
And as a tenant, you’ll likely be anxious about being left homeless if evicted from your home.
We will connect you with a lawyer who will always look to try to resolve tenancy disputes in the first instance, and if this isn’t possible, to advise you on what your options are from a legal perspective.
NEED A tenancy disputes lawyer NOW?
Get in touch today by giving us a few details and a brief outline of your matter, and we’ll put you in touch with an LGBT Lawyer.
OTHER LEGAL AREAS
WILLS & PROBATE
landlord & tenant: latest blogs and insights
How to Evict a Tenant | Read Time 5 Minutes.If you're a landlord and you're having issues with your tenant, you may be able to serve an eviction notice. Eviction is the court-ordered removal of a tenant from a property. There's more than one way to evict a tenant....
tenancy disputes Not Right For Your Situation?
Haven’t been able to find the information or solution you were looking for? Here are all the landlord & tenant services on offer from the LGBT Lawyers network.
LEASE REVIEWS AND RENEWALS
RIGHT TO MANAGE REQUESTS
The LGBT Lawyers Difference
At LGBT Lawyers we tailor our legal services specifically to the LGBT community and everything that being LGBT entails. As an LGBT individual you deserve legal advice that is free from any attitude or judgement. Our network of regulated and qualified LGBT Lawyers will ensure your legal requirements are met.
LGBT Lawyers earnt its fantastic reputation from its fearless commitment to Our clients’ cases
NEED a tenancy dispute LAWYER TODAY?
Please give us a few details and a brief outline of your matter, and we’ll put you in touch with an LGBT Lawyer.
* indicates that a field is mandatory. Please note all enquiries are handled by our referral partner Britton and Time Solicitors and that by submitting an enquiry, you are providing your permission for your contact and case details to be passed on to Britton and Time Solicitors.